vrijdag 1 juli 2011

La Rrrrrrepublicaaaa Doominicaaaanaaaaa!


After 3 longgg longgg flights I have finally arrived in Santo Domingo. To jumpstart with my project: the cultural differences are clearly noticable.
When the aircraft finally touched down, and I mean the split-second the wheels touched the ground, a loud applause raise up from the passengers. Shouting, clapping, screaming: they went berserk!

Whooooooooohooooooohhhh Laa rrrrrrrrrepublicaaa Doooominicaaanaaa!!

When the cheering calmed down, the pilot started its standard little talk (Dear passengers, welcome to (fill in country), the temperature is (fill in temperature), and (fill in wether the sun is shining; if not, don't mention).
The crowd did not seem to listen to it, because again:

Whooooooooohooooooohhhh Laa rrrrrrrrrepublicaaa Doooominicaaanaaa!!

and now even louder, with people jumping up and rapidly taking out their luggage from the above compartments. Helping eachother with bags, making jokes and laugh all together. I say; they should do this in the Netherlands. Loosen up a bit, laugh a bit more and talk loudly about your neighbor: 'Eres una chica muy grande' 'Mira mira!' 'Dios mio'!

The family seated in all the chairs around me (yes, they were that big!), adopted me; within 4 minutes it was concluded that I was the girlfriend of my neighbor, that they are going to take me to customs and show me how to get my bags. They also concluded that I could speak spanish, I should visit them at their family house and that I should come to the beach with them. I love their Multi Active characters.
Meanwhile, the humidity was conquering my body: drips of crystal clear sweat were rolling down my spine, as well as my hair started to fizz as a poodle.
Now, dressed in shorts, the thinnest H&M t-shirt and bare feet, I feel deliberate from the heat. Still, I am sticky all over the place, but right now it is fine.


I am quite curious what happens when I walk out of the air conditioned restaurant..



Geen opmerkingen: